Wednesday, November 07, 2007

movie night

Dear Friends;

Join us Wednesday NOVEMBER 14, 2007 for Fair Grinds Movie Club Night at 8.15pm and a screening of The Sugar Babies, joined by Amy Serrano, the film's acclaimed Director/ Writer/ Cinematographer and Producer. FREE and open to all.

New Orleans film maker Amy Serrano shot, produced, wrote and directed The Sugar Babies to expose the exploitation of children of Haitian ancestry by the sugar industry in the Dominican Republic. Amy encountered fierce opposition to prevent the first screening at Florida International University. Miami based lawyers, representing friends of the sugar industry, attempted to thwart the event with a cease and desist letter to the university. After the screening, the Dominican goverments represenative, General Cousul Manuel Almanzar rushed the stage to denounce the film.

"I feel it was God that led me to the Dominican Republic, and Angels that guided me through a very hidden and dangerous part of our world," said Amy. "At every step of the way, as my discoveries got deeper and many times thinking to myself that I was in over my head, I constantly asked God how much farther can I go? I relied on my inner voice to keep going, delving, and later diffusing this information as the Truth that I and other colleagues on the field have found to be; even when those that would seek to remain in power and profit from the misery forged upon others, equally seek to cover it up through insidious means. But Truth has a way of revealing itself at the right moment in Time."

The Sugar Babies examines the moral price of sugar -- present and past -- from the perspective of the conditions surrounding the children of sugar cane cutters of Haitian ancestry in the Dominican Republic, and the continuing denial of their basic human rights.

After the screening, we will visit with Amy Serrano and discusses the meaning of Fair Trade practices and consumer consciousness as a way to improve the lives of those who work to produce or food and consumer products.

Robert Thompson

Fair Grinds Coffeehouse

3133 Ponce de Leon
New Orleans, LA 70119
(504) 913-9072
www.fairgrinds.com
info@fairgrinds.com

No comments: